Visit the doctor. Most last no more than a few weeks, but some people have ones that stick around long after other symptoms are gone. In a child, a cough is considered chronic if it lasts more than 4 weeks. For adults, it’s 8 weeks or more.
When should you take your child to the doctor for a cough?
When Should I Call the Doctor?
- has trouble breathing or is working hard to breathe.
- is breathing faster than usual.
- has a blue or dusky color to the lips, face, or tongue.
- has a high fever (especially if your child is coughing but does NOT have a runny or stuffy nose)
- has any fever and is younger than 3 months old.
When should you worry about a cough?
See your doctor if your cough persists for more than three weeks or you get other symptoms like shortness of breath, chest pain or coughing up blood. Likewise, if you have a long-term chest condition like asthma or COPD, you need to contact your doctor if the cough has made these symptoms worse.
How can I stop my child from coughing?
It could be due to post-nasal drip from the back of your child’s throat.
- Use saline nasal drops. You can buy these over-the-counter nasal drops at a pharmacy. …
- Offer fluids. …
- Offer honey. …
- Elevate your child’s head when sleeping. …
- Add moisture with a humidifier. …
- Talk a walk in cold air. …
- Apply vapor rub. …
- Use essential oils.
How long should a child’s chesty cough last?
These symptoms often last 7 to 14 days. But the cough may continue for 3 to 4 weeks. These symptoms may look like other health problems. Make sure your child sees his or her healthcare provider for a diagnosis.
Why is my child constantly coughing?
The most likely cause for a cough is a respiratory tract infection, cold or influenza. Sometimes the cough can be a sign of a more serious chest infection, such as pneumonia. The infection causes mucus to build up in your child’s lungs, which makes him or her cough to get rid of it.
How do I get rid of my child’s mucus cough?
Warm tea or water with lemon and honey — a proven expectorant — can soothe your child’s inflamed throat. Warm liquids can also ease the feeling of a “tickle in the throat” and a dry cough. Breathing in steam, along with drinking plenty of fluids, can also help loosen up mucus.
A Cough That Won’t Quit
If you have a long-lasting cough that produces a white or pink mucus, it could be a sign of heart failure. This happens when the heart can’t keep up with the body’s demands, causing blood to leak back into the lungs.
How do you get rid of a cough in 5 minutes?
19 natrual and home remedies to cure and soothe a cough
- Stay hydrated: Drink lots of water to thin mucus.
- Inhale steam: Take a hot shower, or boil water and pour into a bowl, face the bowl (stay at least 1 foot away), place a towel over the back of your head to form a tent and inhale. …
- Use a humidifier to loosen mucus.
How do I know if my cough is serious?
See a doctor immediately if you experience the following symptoms accompanying a cough because it may be serious:
- Difficulty breathing/shortness of breath.
- Shallow, rapid breathing.
- Chest pain.
- Coughing up blood or yellow or green phlegm.
- Coughing so hard you vomit.
- Unexplained weight loss.
What gets rid of a cough quickly?
Here, we look at 12 of these remedies in more detail.
- Honey tea. Share on Pinterest A popular home remedy for coughs is mixing honey with warm water. …
- Ginger. Ginger may ease a dry or asthmatic cough, as it has anti-inflammatory properties. …
- Fluids. …
- Steam. …
- Marshmallow root. …
- Salt-water gargle. …
- Bromelain. …
What is the best medicine for children’s cough?
Cough and Cold Medicines
- Dimetapp Children’s Cold & Cough Elixir.
- Little Colds Decongestant Plus Cough (non-drowsy)
- Robitussin CF Alcohol-Free Cough Syrup (non-drowsy)
- Triaminic Day Time Cold & Cough (non-drowsy)
- Vicks NyQuil Children’s Cold, Cough Relief.
- Vicks Pediatric 44M, Cough & Cold Relief.
- Mucinex Cold & Cough.