Decongestants like Sudafed and DayQuil are generally cautioned against after the first trimester and only in a limited amount. Avoid non-steroidal nasal sprays containing oxymetazoline. Don’t take supplemental vitamins or herbal remedies without medical approval.
Is DayQuil and Nyquil safe during pregnancy?
Throughout your pregnancy, avoid using liquid Nyquil products, as they contain alcohol. You should be safe using all other Nyquil products during your pregnancy. However, you should always talk with your doctor before taking any medication.
What pregnancy category is DayQuil?
Pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine are pregnancy category C in all three trimesters of pregnancy.
What cold medicines are safe during pregnancy?
Safe OTC Cold and Flu Treatment to Use During Pregnancy
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Saline nasal drops or spray.
- Tylenol Sinus.
- Tylenol Cold and Flu.
- Warm salt/water gargle.
What cold medicine is not safe during pregnancy?
Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, which are decongestants. Avoid medicines with these ingredients during the first trimester. Cough and cold medicines that contain guaifenesin.
Is DayQuil safe?
Warnings. Generally, DayQuil is a safe drug to use. However, it can cause harmful effects if you have certain medical conditions, use too much of it, or misuse it.
How do you fight a cold when pregnant?
- menthol rub on your chest, temples, and under the nose.
- nasal strips, which are sticky pads that open congested airways.
- cough drops or lozenges.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol) for aches, pains, and fevers.
- cough suppressant at night.
- expectorant during the day.
What is pregnancy Category C mean?
Category C. “Either studies in animals have revealed adverse effects on the fetus (teratogenic or embryocidal or other) and there are no controlled studies in women or studies in women and animals are not available. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus.”
Can I take Tylenol Cold and flu while pregnant?
Avoid combination products.
For example, while Tylenol pain reliever (acetaminophen) is relatively safe for occasional use during pregnancy, Tylenol Sinus Congestion and Pain and Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom liquid contain the decongestant phenylephrine, which is not.
What meds are OK to take while pregnant?
Which Medications Are Safe During Pregnancy?
- Safe to take: Regular and extra-strength Tylenol (acetaminophen)
- Safe to take: Metamucil, Colace, Citracel, Milk of Magnesia, Dulcolax.
- Safe to take: Tums, Maalox, Mylanta, Pepcid.
- Safe to take: Penicillin.
- Safe to take: Monistat, Gynelotrimin.
What cold medicine is safe during first trimester?
Common Cold Medicine and Pregnancy: The Safe List
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
- Loratadine (Claritin)
- Zinc lozenges.
- Chloraseptic spray (but a salt water gargle is just as effective, with no risks)
Can you use Vicks on stomach while pregnant?
Is it safe to use vapor rub while I’m pregnant? Yes, vapor rub is safe to use during pregnancy.